Yesterday the Washington Post shared a story about Greg Manteufel, a dog lover who was hospitalized with sepsis brought about by bacteria that got into his bloodstream by dog saliva.
Manteufel, whose ailment was described as a rare "crazy fluke," had earlier that day been around eight dogs, including his own. Any of the dogs could have passed on capnocytophaga canimorsus, a bacteria that is commonly found in pets and is not typically harmful to humans, but on rare occasions can poison the blood and cause death.
Manteufel, a motorcycle enthusiast, started with a fever that gradually grew worse over the day. By the time his wife drove him to the hospital bruises had appeared on his limbs. The sepsis had poisoned his blood and he was put on a heavy antibiotic treatment. Unfortunately clots prevented the medicine from reaching his extremities and his hands and legs needed to be amputated.
He’s in good spirits, his wife said, aware of what he has lost but at peace that he must now live an entirely different life, sitting in a power wheelchair.
“He told the doctors, ‘Do what you have to do to keep me alive,’ ” Dawn Manteufel said. “There’s no negativity from him so far . . . He said, ‘It is what it is, so we have to move forward.’ ”
So, yeah, I'm not touching a domesticated animal again.